Each year, there are many people and organizations working hard to put an end to drunk driving and underage drinking. These are very difficult tasks that can’t be done alone. As part of our Annual Holiday Hill event held on Monday, The Century Council wanted to recognize those people who have been there year-after-year working to advance the cause of saving lives and preventing injuries on our nation’s highways.
To honor these individuals, we created the Kevin E. Quinlan Awards for Excellence in Traffic Safety. Kevin was a friend and mentor to many of us at The Century Council. He was the Chief of the National Transportation Safety Board’s Safety Advocacy Division and was instrumental in promoting state action on NTSB Safety Recommendations to reduce fatalities, injuries, and crashes in all modes of transportation. Kevin passed away in December of 2008, but his legacy will live on.
The awardees of the inaugural Kevin E. Quinlan Awards for Excellence in Traffic Safety were:
- Jonathan Adkins, Deputy Executive Director and Communications Director, Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA)
- Lowell Porter, National Law Enforcement Liaison, GHSA
- Sandy Spavone, Executive Director, National Organizations for Youth Safety (NOYS)
- The Hon. Richard Vlavianos, Presiding Judge, San Joaquin Superior Court Comprehensive DUI Program
- Jim Tymon, Dan Veoni, and Jim Kolb, U.S. House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee
- Anna Laitin, Christian Fjeld, Rebecca Hooks, Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee
Additionally, we recognized Members of Congress who have provided, and continue to provide, strong leadership on drunk driving and underage drinking issues. They are leaders on Capitol Hill and in their communities:
- Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX)
- Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-WV)
- Rep. Tim Bishop (D-NY)
- Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-MO)
- Rep. Richard Hanna (R-NY)
- Rep. Mazie Hirono (D-HI)
- Rep. John Mica (R-FL)
- Rep. Nick Rahall (D-WV)
- Rep. Jim Himes (D-CT)
- Rep. John Shimkus (R-IL)
- Rep. Glen G.T. Thompson (R-PA)
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL)
We were happy to recognize all these individuals for their commitment to preventing drunk driving and underage drinking. And those in attendance at the Holiday Hill Event, in addition to supporting our honorees, were able to learn how alcohol affects the body with our new B4UDrink Blood Alcohol Educator and test out how it feels to be over the legal limit with Fatal Vision Goggles.
Thanks to all who attended! And from all of us at The Century Council, have a safe and happy holiday season!